This is one of the best summaries of what Science can tell us about Teaching and Learning.
In their own words:
The Science of Learning identifies six key questions about learning that should be relevant to nearly every educator:
1. How do students understand new ideas?
2. How do students learn and retain new information?
3. How do students solve problems?
4. How does learning transfer to new situations?
5. What motivates students to learn?
6. What are some common misconceptions about how
students think and learn?
It is a highly accessible, clear document: essential for anyone interested in how students learn. Click here to download.